Click here to open or download the Introduction for Assignment 1: Understanding Your Values.
Click here to open or download the Assignment 1: Worksheet.
This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Assignment 1: Understanding Your Values
Due week 3 and worth 100 points.
“If you’re going to build a great career, you had better have a strong foundation. It all comes back to the priorities and the values that you have in life. – Coach Gibbs
Understanding Your Values Worksheet
PART 1 IDENTIFY YOUR VALUES & GROUPS OF INFLUENCE
In the article What Self-Awareness Really Is (And How to Cultivate It) author Tasha Eurich states that “Research suggests that when we see ourselves clearly, we are more confident and more creative. We make sounder decisions, build stronger relationships, and communicate more effectively.” This worksheet will help you do just that.
In the table below, each row represents a group (past or present) that has influenced your values. Examples of these groups are your family, church, sports teams, profession, groups sharing common interests, etc. Select five of these groups and list them in the first column of the table.
For each of the groups, identify the following:
1. Three (3) positive behaviors that were learned and/or encouraged by the group. For example your teacher would always expect that you were on time or that you were assertive during class presentations.
2. Three (3) values that you learned from the group. For example someone could have learned from a church group to be compassionate or to speak up when one sees injustices.
b. Choose your values from the list provided in the Your Values Matter table. Scroll to the end of this assignment to find this table.
3 POSITIVE BEHAVIORS
3 VALUES LEARNED
Volunteering, Working on a team, Being on time
Accountability, respect, teamwork
(choose from the Your Values Matter table below)
(Type Group 1 here)
(Type Group 2 here)
(Type Group 3 here)
(Type Group 4 here)
(Type Group 5 here)
PART 2: RANK YOUR VALUES
How important is each value in your life? Using the “Understanding Your Values” table, choose 10 of your values and put each value in priority order – #1 matters most, #10 matters least. Be HONEST! It doesn’t matter how someone else would rank these values; it only matters how important they are to you! Remember, this is about SELF-awareness. Your goal is to identify the things that matter most to YOU!
In the article
How to Live With Purpose, Identify Your Values and Improve Your Leadership, author Ann Loehr explains how your values give you a sense of purpose. The exercise below will help you focus on those values. Please complete the following in the table below:
1. List the values according to what matters most to you.
2. Provide a brief definition of what that values means to you
in your own words
3. Write a short sentence about the meaning of each value in the “why does this matter to me” column. (Ex: If “friendship” is one of your higher values, you might understand it [and yourself!] better by identifying WHY friendship is
Assignment 1: Understanding Your Values
Due Week 3 and worth 100 points.
“I said to myself, “Is life about winning football games, or it is it about my kids and the family?”
Throughout his career as a leader, Coach models the theory that discovering your purpose isn’t about trying to be a carbon copy of your favorite role model or idol, it’s about understanding what you truly value in life and why. Once you’ve taken the time to identify the values that are important to YOU and where they come from, you’ll understand more about how you interact with the world.
This assignment will help you identify how the different groups in your life have impacted your values and how understanding that impact can help you better understand yourself and your purpose.
Step 1: Download the Understanding Your Values Worksheet and save it to your computer.
Step 2: Follow the directions on the worksheet to complete the assignment.
Step 3: Save your document as FirstInitial_LastName_JGR100_ A1.
Step 4: Submit your assignment using the Week 3 assignment link in Blackboard.
This course requires use of
Strayer Writing Standards (SWS).
The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details. (Note: You’ll be prompted to enter your Blackboard login credentials to view these standards.)
While completing this assignment, be sure to connect your responses to the course content you’ve learned so far. You should use specific phrases, ideas, and quotes from the Strayer Videos, Coach’s Huddle, Weekly Readings, and/or Discussion Questions to explain and support your thoughts.
Example: “When Coach said that one of his values was people, it made me realize that I also value people as well. For instance, I often choose projects at work based on managers I enjoy working with.”
Wait! Before you submit your assignment to Blackboard, did you…
· Review the scoring guide? The scoring guide will give you a clear understanding of the assignment’s expectations.
· Check your assignment for grammatical errors?
· Review your answers for clarity?
· Reach out to your instructor if you have any questions?
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.