Create a 7-minute slideshow presentation with accompanying speaker notes on the topic Punishment and Rehabilitation of Criminals.
Presentation Issue/Question: Do we have a moral obligation to rehabilitate or punish criminals? Do we have a moral right to impose the death penalty on criminals?
Decide what your position is on this topic for example in favor or against and prepare to explain why. Pick one or more ethical theories to justify your beliefs about the topic. Present both sides of the issue fairly; then justify your viewpoint. End with at least three ethical discussion questions about the topic. Include a slide that lists your references in APA format (see the presentation outline section). Make sure your presentation features an appropriate number of slides and presents the information as clearly as possible. Avoid including slides with too many words, lack of clarity, and poor grammar. Use illustrations where appropriate. Utilize the information within the Research Presentation outline which is attached.
Running Head: Punishment and Rehabilitation of Criminals 2
Punishment and Rehabilitation of Criminals
Punishment and Rehabilitation of Criminals
A. Moral obligation is a dusty which we ought to perform but is not legally binding.
B. All states and countries offer laws and regulations that punish the criminals according to the weigh of their crimes and those with major crimes get a death penalty (Ladd, 2017).
C. The issue of punishment is an ethical issue which can be analyzed well using the utilitarianism ethical theory.
II. We have a moral obligation towards punishing and rehabilitating criminals
A. Crimes are harmful and constitute moral wrong doings such as dishonestly, theft, murder and that gives has a moral obligation to rehabilitate and punish criminals.
B. We have a moral obligation towards each other and protecting each other’s welfare.
C. Punishment and rehabilitation helps criminals reform and we have a duty towards the community to help reform bad behavior (Haji, 2021).
III. We have no moral obligation towards punishing and rehabilitating criminals.
A. Punishing and rehabilitating criminals is legal, but what moral obligations does one have towards this? (Kolber, 2018)
B. We have a moral obligation to obey the set laws and regulations and respecting authorities but have no moral obligation for the punishment and rehabilitation of criminals (Chiao, 2018).
IV. Decision: We have a moral obligation to punish and rehabilitate criminals.
A. According to the utilitarian approach actions are immoral if they cause harm and vice versa.
B. The harm that is caused by crimes needs to be eliminated or reduced (Canton, 2017).
C. Correctional facilities and rehabilitation help eliminate threat of future harm.
If actions harm others then we have a moral duty to help eliminate these actions and make our communities and societies better.
VI. Relevant Questions
1. Do we have a moral duty to report crimes which result into no harm? If yes, why?
2. Do the police have any moral obligation towards maintaining the safety of the people?
3. What are the moral obligations of communities towards criminals, if there is any?
Canton, R. (2017). Why Punish?: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Punishment. Macmillan
International Higher Education.
Chiao, V. (2018). Criminal law in the age of the administrative state. Oxford University Press.
Haji, I. (2021). Obligation Incompatibilism and Blameworthiness. Philosophical Papers, 1-23.
Kolber, A. J. (2018). Punishment and moral risk. U. Ill. L. Rev., 487.
Ladd, J. (2017). Legal and moral obligation. In Political and Legal Obligation (pp. 3-35).
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.