Descriptive Statistics Data Analysis
This exercise requires the use of a descriptive statistics calculator. You can find this tool in some versions of Excel (as part of the Analysis ToolPak) or you can use one of the many free online descriptive calculators such as the Descriptive Statistics Calculator (Links to an external site.) by Calculator Soup.
Your instructor will post an announcement with the data set for your Week 1 assignment.
First, use either Excel or the Calculator Soup descriptive statistics calculator to calculate the descriptive statistics for the given data set. This is explained in Chapter 1 of your course text.
You should get an output similar to the image in Figure 1.3 from your textbook. This output must contain the following values: mean, standard error, median, mode, standard deviation, sample variance, kurtosis, skewness, range, minimum, maximum, sum, and count.
Next, begin writing your paper by reporting your results for each of the values listed above.
Include the data set, the output from the analysis, and the answers to the following questions:
Evaluate the measures of central tendency. Address the following when completing this component:
Which measure of central tendency is most appropriate based on the data type?
Are the mean, median, and mode close to the same value? If not, what does this tell you about the numbers in the set?
Identify any mode(s) in the data set. Is there a mode at all? Is there more than one mode?
Calculate manually the interquartile range and the values of Q1 and Q3. (It is important to calculate this manually because the interquartile range and quartiles output from Calculator Soup might not be accurate.) Address the following when completing this component:
Test to see if there are any outliers in the set. If so, which number(s)?
Which method from Section 2.4 of the text did you first use to check for outliers?
Now try the other method from Section 2.4 of the text. Do you come to the same conclusion about outliers in the data set?
Explain which descriptive statistic you think best summarizes this set of numbers and why.
Choose three of the descriptive statistics that you feel best represent this data set. Why were they chosen?
The Descriptive Statistics Data Analysis assignment
Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.) resource.
Must include a separate title page with the following:
Title of paper
Course name and number
PSY325 Week 1 Assignment Data Set 1
Ratio scale variable
The bookkeeper for a bakery noted that the first 20 days of sales of a new item were as follows.
If you wish to use Excel to calculate the descriptive statistics, highlight the second column in the table above (not including the label “Number sold” in the first row), copy and paste it into an Excel spreadsheet.
The data points have been arranged in ascending order below. If you wish to use Calculator Soup instead of Excel, you may copy and paste this line of numbers into the Descriptive Statistics Calculator.
1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 8, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 18, 22, 24, 26, 30
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.