You work as the chief supply chain officer at NationaliTeas, a large international corporation that manufacturers and sells tea worldwide. Its mission is to “Make the world more awake through rejuvenating and refreshing beverages and sustainable practices that uplift workers, communities, and souls.” You have recently hired the company’s first project manager and have given them their first project: Revise current workflows related to packaging at one of your tea factories to be more sustainable and more lean. As this is their first project, you will be helping them complete their task.
Read through the Project Charter for Workflow Improvement, then review the Process Workflow for Tea Production graphic. A text-only version is available: Process Workflow for Tea Production Text-Only Version. Based on these documents, recommend removing a total of four steps from the process flowchart that can help make the process more efficient and sustainable. Explain the implications of the proposed changes, and then help the NationaliTeas team address current items in the Issue Log located in the project charter.
Specifically, you must address the following rubric criteria:
Lean Manufacturing: Evaluate the process flowchart to identify steps that do not add value based on the principles of lean manufacturing. Explain why you selected each step.
Sustainability: Evaluate the process flowchart and identify steps that should be removed or changed to improve environmental sustainability. Explain why you selected each step.
Process Changes: Explain the implications, both positive and negative, of removing or changing the steps from the process flowchart you identified in the previous two bullet points. Also explain how those changes would help alignment to the triple bottom line (TBL).
Issue Log: Analyze all entries in the Issue Log from the perspective of a project manager and explain the recommended course of action based on the project charter, noting the impact of the issue on scope, planning communications, and resourcing.
Operations Management Techniques: Discuss how operations management techniques, including project management and lean manufacturing, can add value to NationaliTeas.
Guidelines for Submission
Submit this assignment as a 350- to 500-word Word document. Sources should be cited according to APA style.
Project Charter for Workflow Process Improvement
Elimination of Waste and Improved Sustainability in Workflow
· Business Objectives
· Estimated Schedule
· Estimated Budget
· Completion Criteria
· Define Project Success
As the company plans to apply for B Corp Certification within the next five years, is important to analyze our production workflow processes to look for reductions in waste and improve sustainability metrics.
The purpose of this project is to analyze and look for improvements in our tea production workflow process. We primarily want to analyze the workflow processes from a lean manufacturing perspective to look for waste and to focus our processes on improving quality for the end user. We also want to analyze the workflow processes from a sustainability perspective and consider how we can make our production workflow processes friendlier to the planet as a whole.
· Analyze workflow processes for improvements to increase the company’s overall sustainability metrics
· Analyze workflow processes for ways to reduce waste or unnecessary steps that don’t add value to our product’s end users
· Analyze workflow processes to improve chances the organization is approved as a Certified B Corporation
· Simplify the tea production workflow using lean manufacturing principles to increase efficiency
· Reduce use processes and materials that are not environmentally friendly
· Make process and material changes that cannot increase manufacturing costs
· Updated process flowchart
· Cost-benefit analysis of changes
· Summary of changes that specifically note sustainability measures used
The project should be completed within two months of project kickoff.
Project Milestones or Phases
Estimated Completion Date
Analysis of Current Workflow Process
Completion of Research Around Potential Changes
End of Project
A week after the final set of recommendations is created
This project has a limited budget of $30,000. Funds are allocated for travel, research, and the hiring of a third-party contractors to support the analysis.
· Removal of critical processes could lead to overall production errors or bottlenecks.
· Removal of processes could lead to less safe working environments for employees.
· Removal of processes could lead to a lower quality end product and then lower sales and damage to the company brand.
The project is considered complete when a new, streamlined workflow process has been recommended based on analysis and research an
QSO 321 Process Workflow for Tea Production
The flowchart covers the steps involved in picking, processing, and packaging and shipping tea. The outline below details these steps at each stage of the process.
a. Workers pick usable tea leaves from the field
b. Picked tea leaves are weighed and grouped into 50 kg bags
c. Bags of weighed tea are moved to a processing area
a. Bags of tea are reweighed at the processing facility
b. Tea leaves are spread across pans and troughs
c. Tea leaves are withered on pans
d. Tea leaves are cooled
e. Tea leaved are removed from pans and reweighed
f. Tea leaves are moved onto special trays and put through a rolling machine
g. Tea leaves go through their first drying
h. Tea leaves are cooled
i. Tea leaves are removed from special rolling trays and put into new trays to go through a second drying machine
j. Tea leaves are removed from trays and reweighed; poor-quality leaves are thrown away
k. Tea leaves are visually inspected
l. Poor-quality leaves are thrown away
m. Tea leaves are moved to an oxidizing area
n. Tea leaves are oxidized
o. Tea leaves go through their final drying to complete the oxidation process
p. Tea leaves are cooled
q. Tea leaves are sent to packaging and shipping
3. Packaging and Shipping
a. Tea leaves are weighed
b. Tea leaves go through the first sorting machine; small, misshaped, or discolored tea leaves are discarded
c. Tea leaves are weighed
d. Tea leaves go through a second sorting
e. Tea leaves are put into paper tea bags and sealed
f. Tea bags are wrapped in paper packets
g. Tea bags are sealed
h. Wrapped tea bags are sorted into cardboard packs of 20
i. Cardboard packs are sealed and wrapped in plastic
j. Boxes are sorted into shipping boxes
k. Shipping boxes are wrapped and sealed, ready to be shipped
Bags of tea are
Leaves are spread
across pans and
withered on pans
through a �rst
Leaves are put
into new trays for
a second drying
Leaves get a �nal
moved to a
Leaves are put
into 50 kg bags
Leaves are removed
from pans and
Leaves are moved
onto special trays
Leaves are removed from trays
and reweighed; poor-quality
leaves are thrown away
Leaves are visually
are thrown away
moved to an
Leaves get a
Tea bags are
Tea bags are
Leaves are put
into paper tea
bags and sealed
Wrapped tea bags are
sorted into cardboard
packs of 20
Shipping boxes are
wrapped and sealed,
ready to be shipped
are sealed and
wrapped in plastic
Leaves are sent to
Leaves are sorted;
small, misshaped, or
discolored tea leaves
Picking, Processing, and Packaging TeaPicking, Processing, and Packaging Tea
Boxes are sorted
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.